Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Feeling Old Thanks to LinkedIn

Well, it's not really LinkedIn's fault, but I'll blame it anyway. I just connected via LinkedIn to a colleague who works at a subsidiary company of my employer. We've communicated often before this, but last night was the first time I found out any of her personal history because I read her bio and background.

Why does this make me feel old? Because both of us are alumni of Boston University, except she graduated 19 years after I did. Actually, going by the year I would have graduated if laziness and apathy hadn't got a hold of me so many years ago, the difference becomes 21 years.

I don't know why this fact surprises me. After all, BU graduates thousands of students every year and since I hope to live a long life, it's reasonable that I'd eventually cross paths with other alumni. I guess there's a part of me that doesn't want to let go of the past because memories of friends (only one or two that I actually have any contact with anymore), places, and events are still so vivid that it seems like it was just yesterday that I roamed the streets of Boston and surrounding environs as a student/roadie/copy machine operator extraordinaire.

This is the point where my wife usually reminds me that it's been so long ago, what's the big deal where I went to college? Don't get me wrong, I'm not fanatical about remembering my alma mater and even though I try to keep connected by catching an occasional BU ice hockey game on TV or keeping up-to-date with the Beanpot every year, I haven't gone back for homecoming, campus visits, or written to the alumni magazine.

But there is a part of me that is proud to have graduated from BU. There is a part of me that remembers what it was like to be on my own for the first time in my life. And there is a part of me that remembers the mistakes, arrogance, and regrets of a young teenager set loose in a new city. Those were my salad days, indeed.

So, thanks a lot LinkedIn, I feel young today.

Go Terriers!

Updated 15 January 2013 at 12:46 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment